Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Responses to "Writing about General Apache" and "Simplicity"

Response to “Writing about General Apache”

When I first picked up “Writing about General Apache” I was a bit skeptical. I didn’t understand how hearing about a professor’s struggle to write about his student was supposed to matter to me. A reflective essay is supposed share an experience that will benefit the reader, but this sounded like a piece written to express frustration. As I read the essay, I found it enjoyable all the same. Harrington wrote beautifully about his student. I enjoyed the little details he put in, the story about learning the streets of Washington DC from a homeless man, for example. These little details made you care about Harrington’s student, made you want to know his story. Though almost the entire essay was in the past tense, the quotes Harrington included really helped the story feel more alive and true. I think that fact that Harrington wrote this essay after writing the poem and sharing it with his student really made the essay better. You could really feel the sense of looking back. Harrington looked back not only on his writing process but also at the life of his student. It allowed him to slim down all the event and stories into one concise piece that wasn’t too long for the reader or too filled with unnecessary details. I especially liked the ending of the piece. The whole essay was kind of a buildup to the poem. Adding the poem at the end satisfied the reader’s curiosity and reinforced the importance of the subject matter. I don’t think I could put what I got from this essay and the included poem into words, but I did come away feeling a sense of understanding, and that’s what counts.

Response to “Simplicity”

William Zinsser has an incredibly valid point. I really enjoyed reading about his policy on written language. I totally agree that writing is hard work. I find myself doing a lot of the things he talked about. Not knowing what I want to say is probably the biggest thing for me. I like that Zinsser made the point that writing and thinking clearly isn’t something you’re born with, but something you have to work at. He also really put into perspective what writers are competing with when they try to catch a reader’s attention. He made great points and exemplified those points in his writing. I found it enjoyable and informative.

1 comment:

  1. Elena, I am so glad that you are reading these as a writer, which is what I was hoping for. I wanted you to tell me whether you liked it or not, yes, but mainly I wanted you to have a close look at the writing and explain what happened to appeal to you or put you off, as the case may be.

    You wrote, "I like that Zinsser made the point that writing and thinking clearly isn’t something you’re born with, but something you have to work at." I agree. Some people may make it look easy, but we all struggle to write well, to get our points across and to ensure we have something worthwhile to write about.

    Some of your classmates took issue with Zinsser, a reading I particularly enjoyed and agreed with. So I had to go back and reread it, to see if my background in journalism gave me some sort of bias as a reader. I still like it though!

    Do you think journalism (a particular kind of understanding of the necessity of immediate clarity) influences your views of Zinsser's points?

    And are all these values we bring from journalism still relevant in academic writing? After all, academic writing does have a different kind of audience, with a larger vocabulary, a familiarity with the genre, and a more sustained and focused attention span.

    In my opinion, some are still very valuable, but I appreciate being able to dispense with some of them in order to facilitate a deeper kind of thinking. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete