Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Response to Quick Review Chapter 28

While reading this through I recognized a lot of elements I've already used before in writing research papers. For example, the specific ways to get a good interview. I feel I've used this many times in both my Broadcast Journalism class and high school English classes. The only thing I found surprising was the comment made about not depending on a recording. In the past I have always asked for a recording and usually got the interviewee's consent. I guess in the future I will need to be more precise in my note taking during interviews.
The other thing I found different from my already existing methods were the different search strategies. In the past I have always used all possible outlets, including books, articles, the internet, and people. I've never really systematized it before. Honestly I'm not sure if it will help me. I've always found my way of researching to be pretty effective. It lets me stumble upon things I wouldn't have otherwise found.
The last thing in this chapter that I haven't encountered before was the idea of an annotated bibliography. The bibliographies I've done in the past have simply been there to cite my sources. I kind of like the idea of having a few notes on the source to explain what the source was really about.
I think I will definitely use some of the new techniques I came across in this chapter. Even though it hasn't been my style in the past, I can see how doing a research paper in a more organized and systematic way would be beneficial to both the research paper and one's sanity. I will look forward to using a more organized search strategy and trying out the annotated bibliography. Research papers have always been a little tricky and I'm glad to find new ways to make it easier.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments about recordings led me to recall a sociolinguistics class I took a few years ago. It had a whole unit about how recorded evidence can be manipulated to work against an innocent person in investigations. It was very disturbing to me since, as a journalist, I had always relied heavily on recordings too.

    ReplyDelete