Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Response to Quick Review Chapter 31

This chapter of Quick Review held a lot of information about plagiarism. I liked the various solutions to avoiding plagiarism that the reference supplied. Once again, I had to learn to give credit to the people and works I used in my Broadcast Journalism class. We generally used the tactic of simply putting the site or person's name into the sentence we were working. For example: According to BBC News, this statistic...etc. I'm interested to learn some of the other ways to give credit to sources, like using quotations or citations. I've never really learned to properly cite a source before. I've always found other ways to integrate my research into my papers and other things.
I really liked how thorough the reference was in this section. I found the examples to be very helpful in understanding what the book was talking about and how to properly apply these concepts on my own. I especially liked the table of useful verbs for summarizing, another skill I haven't really practiced before.
Overall, I really don't agree with plagiarism. I have written pieces before and would be enraged to find out that someone was claiming my work or ideas as their own. I'm glad that I have such a good source to show me how to avoid doing that by mistake. I have no problem with giving author's their credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment